• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax filing pre-divorce situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bertimus2

Ohio...

I am a married (separated, not legally) 34 year old male. Me and my wife split in March of last year 2009 and we have never done any legal separation. We stayed together for a while in 2009 after that off and on. We are separate now...nothing on paper. Here's the problem:

She filed her taxes for 2009 as head of household and itemized. She got a $4,000 dollar return. This leaves me to file as married and separate. I am not a head of household and I am not single. Is she in violation for filing as she did? I get none of the tax benefits for 2009. She claimed one of our two children. She refuses me her SS # so what can I do to file? I don't have her SS # for the forms. I can't file without it.

1. Did she legally file head of household (the children live with her in what is technically our house)

2. Am I entitled to a portion of her return? She got $4,000, I get $150 on mine if I ever get to file it.

3. How do I file? married and separate?

davew128

1) Not sure. Did you live together AT ALL during the last six months of the year?
2) About as much as I am. As in NO.
3) Married filing separate.

And did you consider looking at last year's return for her social number?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">