• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Filing Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duder2469

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am filing my taxes and found no federal withholdings on my w2. After contacting my employer I was told I was incorrectly assigned a foreign income exemption status. Now my wife and I will owe some money to the irs. When I estimate what my federal withholdings would have been and plug that number into the tax filing it shows a refund of a substantial amount. Do I have any options against my employer? Or any options at all?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am filing my taxes and found no federal withholdings on my w2. After contacting my employer I was told I was incorrectly assigned a foreign income exemption status. Now my wife and I will owe some money to the irs. When I estimate what my federal withholdings would have been and plug that number into the tax filing it shows a refund of a substantial amount. Do I have any options against my employer? Or any options at all?
Withholding is basically a deposit against whatever taxes you will owe when you file your tax return. While I am sure that it is very disappointing that you will not be receiving a refund, your employer didn't take any money away from you. You got the money instead of it being deposited towards your taxes. Its also something that you absolutely should have noticed when you got your paychecks.

If the problem is substantial enough that the IRS penalizes you for under withholding, then you might have the argument that your employer should compensate you for the under withholding penalty, but other than that, its honestly your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">