• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax forms for refunds from church

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevmurray

Denver, Colorado.

I'm treasurer of a small church. The church closed it's doors last year. We had been collecting donations for a building fund for the previous 3 years. When the church closed, we offered to refund the building fund. Several donors took the offer. Since the donations were taken in '01-03 and the refund was in '04 I cannot juggle their year end recept to report $donations minus $refund as their '04 donations because in some cases the refunds were bigger than the '04 donations.

Do I need to file a 1099-MISC to those that got refunds? Would this force them to pay double taxes on the refund if they didn't use their '01-03 receipts to itemize deductions?

I have consulted with the Denver branch of the IRS and they were bewildered that any 501c3 would want to give money back and I got a lot of tap-dancing that told me that they didn't know the answer for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">