• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jarred

What is the name of your state? Pa
I need help.My husband hasnt filed in years and most jobs he has doesnt take out taxes.He has been wanted to straightin this out for years but was always afraid too.Anyway we just got some letters saying he owes for 3 differant years(its way more than that though)But thats all they found out for now.It says he owes almost 40,000 total.We are not rich nor poor but we live paycheck to paycheck.We already have alot of bills.I need advice on what to do!Who do we contact? should we get a lawyer(cant really afford it)? and what kind?Is there any way to settle?What about all this commercials about tax help settle on the dollar etc.. is this a ripoff?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pa
I need help.My husband hasnt filed in years and most jobs he has doesnt take out taxes.He has been wanted to straightin this out for years but was always afraid too.Anyway we just got some letters saying he owes for 3 differant years(its way more than that though)But thats all they found out for now.It says he owes almost 40,000 total.We are not rich nor poor but we live paycheck to paycheck.We already have alot of bills.I need advice on what to do!Who do we contact? should we get a lawyer(cant really afford it)? and what kind?Is there any way to settle?What about all this commercials about tax help settle on the dollar etc.. is this a ripoff?
The first thing that he needs to do is go to a tax professional and get the returns done. That way he knows what his real liability is for those three years. It may be less than what the IRS is projecting. It would probably even be wise to get the returns done for as many years as he knows he hasn't filed, or for at least the last 7 years, whichever is less.

Once that is done, then he needs a consult with a local tax attorney. DO NOT use the tax attorney to prepare the returns, that will simply cost too much. Use the attorney only for negotiating with the IRS.

tranquility

I agree with LdiJ. On a similar note, get the returns filed! You *have* no other bills. The Government comes first. Once you have filed, then you could consider other options.

jarred

Thanks Ldij...so it would be cheaper to go like to h&r block or something like that??Why 7 years to only go back?And yes tranquillity we do have bills and i know the gov wants to come first but tell that to my children who need to eat ,shelter clothes etc We also had a business along time ago and have to make court order payments(very high) for various reasons and cannot miss a payment ...unfortunately i wish i didnt have bills but i do this is why i need help with this matter and why we have paid.

tranquility

"Bills" can often be discharged in bankruptcy. Taxes will not be dischargable until you have filed returns. To get your financial life in order, you must start with filing your tax returns.

abezon

File your returns. Then consult a bankruptcy attorney. At the very least, the BK court has the power to override the current court-ordered payment plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">