• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax implications of buying home at less than market from foreign inlaws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmurph07

What is the name of your state? - Alabama

My inlaws are foreign. They purchased a house here for $200,000. They are not going to be able to relocate to the United States and they would like to sell the house to my wife and myself for $130,000. Houses in their neighborhood are currently selling for $230,000.

What are the tax implications for us and our inlaws if we buy the house so far under market value? Would the $100,000 difference be taxable as income to us and create gift a tax liability for her parents? Will our neighbors strangle us for paying so much less than they are selling their houses for?

abezon

The price discount is a gift. If your in-laws are non-resident aliens, they can gift you up to $100,000 & no one has to file any kind of form. If they are resident aliens, they can still gift you a bunch of money, but should consult an estate tax professional about the gift tax return. Be sure to get someone who deals with international estate tax planning. Your in-laws may just have to file the gift tax return, without paying any taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">