• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax implications when selling a home inherited in a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Borneo Diver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
When my Father died he had a trust which left his estate, including a house to be divided between his children. We had the house appraised to establish the step-up basis and put it on the market, selling it within four months for less than the appraisal. The total value of the estate was less than $500K. Are we allowed to claim the difference between appraisal and sale price as a loss? And if so is it a short term or long term capital loss? Thanks for your help

FlyingRon

You have two problems. First, the actual sale so close to the date of the appraisal is pretty much going to indicate the appraisal was wrong and the FMV was what someone was going to pay for it. Further, even if you did have a loss, it's not deductible.

tranquility

If the trust was a revocable (living) trust of the type people usually have, I'd say an arms length sale within six months of death is going to be the step-up basis; not the appraisal. To claim otherwise you'd have to claim some odd facts that don't seem to be here. I disagree with FlyingRon when he says you can't claim the loss as I assume this will not be a vacation home or other personal property since it was sold so soon. I believe it to be a capital asset.

davew128

It would be almost impossible to NOT have a loss when selling inherited real estate that soon based on selling expenses alone. I agree with Tranq that the property in the hands of the children is an investment asset not personal use and a loss would be deductible.

tranquility

Just to be clear to the OP, your basis will be the fair market value at the time of the arms length sale and the loss will be because of the costs to sell the property.

Borneo Diver

Just to be clear to the OP, your basis will be the fair market value at the time of the arms length sale and the loss will be because of the costs to sell the property.
Thanks for your help. Just to clarify, the cost basis would be the sale price, and the loss would be the difference after selling expenses and commissions? Would this loss be classified as "short term" or "long term"? Dad owned the house for many years, and the trust was a revocable trust.
Thanks again,

tranquility

Thanks for your help. Just to clarify, the cost basis would be the sale price, and the loss would be the difference after selling expenses and commissions? Would this loss be classified as "short term" or "long term"? Dad owned the house for many years, and the trust was a revocable trust.
Thanks again,
Technically, the FMV is the cost basis and the selling expenses (And, other relevant things.) added to that is the adjusted cost basis. The time the trust obtained the property to the time the property was sold is the measure for short term or long. The trust was disregarded when it was revocable and we have the trust being irrevocable being the date the "trust" obtained the property. I'd say short term.

Borneo Diver

Technically, the FMV is the cost basis and the selling expenses (And, other relevant things.) added to that is the adjusted cost basis. The time the trust obtained the property to the time the property was sold is the measure for short term or long. The trust was disregarded when it was revocable and we have the trust being irrevocable being the date the "trust" obtained the property. I'd say short term.
Great answer. Thank you very much for your help**************..

davew128

I disagree. All inherited property receiving a basis adjustment at death is considered long-term in the hands of the people inheriting it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">