• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax increase because Title Company late

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpMD

What is the name of your state? MD

I bought a home on May 27, 2004. Now I find out that because my Title Company did not file my deed with the state/county before June 30, I am illegible for homestead tax credits for 2005. (It is date stamped July 13 by the county.) My assessment for the home went up $80K, obviously causing the taxes to increase. Its way over the 10% that would make me eligible for the homestead tax credits. I am being penalized for the Title Company's lateness. Do I have recourse? And does that mean that my taxes will stay at the amount I am paying in 2005 instead of the lower rate paid in 2004? Please advise. Thank you.

pojo2

This is why people get so concerned when their area starts selling house at greatly appreciated values over the years because when property starts selling much higher everyones taxes tend to go way up.

In your case, it is VERY common for the taxes to go up based on the sales price compared to the previous valuation that may not have been looked at in years.

Yes, your taxes will stay at this level unless you can dispute the new assessment as erroneous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">