• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax interception- how to stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Heidelberg Barb

Tax Refund interception- how to stop

What is the name of your state?Virgina

A university in Maryland has stated it will intercept any tax refund coming to my spouse, from whom I am legally separated. My spouse maintains an out of state address but is also living in another country and has no income taxes taken out in the USA. My spouse files separately.

My question is this: if I am legally separated and filing as a single person, not jointly, can my tax refund be intercepted? Must I notify the state tax department? Must I notify the Fedeal tax department?

The notification did not state whether this would be at the state or federal level.

Last edited:

H

Heidelberg Barb

Snipes5 said:
That depends on whether or not you are liable for the debt.

Snipes
The debt was incured after we were separated.

abezon

Then it's her separate debt & the IRS can't touch your refund. If you have a court decree of legal separation, you file as single or head of household, not as married separate.

H

Heidelberg Barb

The separation is legal and filed.

I am curious, if I were to file jointly, would the refund then be subject to interception? Would they take a portion of it?

Filing jointly gives one a better tax break then 2 filing singly and it has been discussed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">