• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on Irrevocable Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorenzo45

Washington.

I will be trustee on an AB Trust, one trust of which is irrevocable (B trust). Income generated by the B trust is paid out and taxes are paid by the beneficiaries not the trust. If capital gains are reported on assets (eg mutual fund) held in the trust, I assume the trust must pay the income tax on the capital gain. Is the tax rate higher for trusts than for an individuals? If a trust asset is sold, is the increase above the cost base taxable capital gain for the trust? If the asset increases in value but is not sold until the trust is ended with assets going to the beneficiaries I believe there is no capital gain to the beneficiaries until they sell the asset. Is that true?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">