• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax law question concerning personal injury insurance settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbcoldiron

Kansas - My wife was injured in June of 2007 in a serious automobile accident for which she received insurance settlements from both the other drivers insurance company and our own insurance company's under insured motorist provision. She is a school teacher and did not receive compensation for lost wages as the accident occured while she was on her summer vacation. I am trying to determine based on what I have read if there are any federal or state income taxes due on the settlement. The settlement was paid after all of her medical bills were paid by the insurance company or by ourselves. As I interpret the info I have read it appears these settlements would be non taxable income. Am I correct in this assumption?

LdiJ

Kansas - My wife was injured in June of 2007 in a serious automobile accident for which she received insurance settlements from both the other drivers insurance company and our own insurance company's under insured motorist provision. She is a school teacher and did not receive compensation for lost wages as the accident occured while she was on her summer vacation. I am trying to determine based on what I have read if there are any federal or state income taxes due on the settlement. The settlement was paid after all of her medical bills were paid by the insurance company or by ourselves. As I interpret the info I have read it appears these settlements would be non taxable income. Am I correct in this assumption?
I would strongly recommend that you take the settlement paperwork and go get a consult with a local tax professional. I doubt that anyone here is willing to go out on a limb to give you an answer, if they cannot read through the settlement.

I can tell you that settlement money that reimbursed to you for medical expenses or vehicle repair/replacement expenses already paid by you, would not be taxable. As for the rest, again, I would want to read the settlement paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">