• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax law for us expats?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristineFrance

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? France

I am not sure if anyone can answer the questions below but I am giving it a try!

I am resident of France and I am have dual citizenship (US and French).

I own a studio IN France together with my legal partner (50 %) (we are not married, but France recognizes this status).

We rent this studio and I fill out my US TAX FORMS regarding expenses, amortization etc. for the studio.

I am thinking of legally DONATING my share of the studio to my legal partner (Here in France).

Can you provide the list of US TAX FORMS I must fill out in case of donation of my share of the real estate property ?

Also, will I have to pay US taxes for that transfer of my share of property, even though it's a donation?

Please note my partner is NOT a US citizen.

In advance, thank you so much for this information!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You say expat, but you claim you are retaining US citizenship right? There's a difference between living aboard and renouncing tax wise.
"Donating" money to others doesn't get you out of tax liability (other than certain charities).

There's a whole section of the IRS page for those living aboard...http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers

davew128

I will add that there are other issues involved with ownership of property, and non-recognition of the "partner status" for both income and gift tax purposes. This is not a job for a layperson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">