• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on Lawsuit Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taxQ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I had a lawsuit settled last year for $14,000. My lawyer received the settlement check in Dec. 2008. I didn't get my share (30%) until Jan. 2009.
The settlement was for "pain and suffering", with no specifics as to what type of pain or what type of suffering.

1. Is this settlement taxable? I know for physical injuries, it isn't. But since this settlement was not clear (in the settlement release,) I am not sure what to do.

2. If so, do I report the settlement on my 2008 or 2009 income tax?

3. Do I only report the portion I received or do I need to report the entire amount and deduct the expenses/costs/lawyer fees?

Thank you for you time!!

tranquility

See a tax professional. Communication with the attorney, review of the complaint and judgment and a search of case law may be needed. It is often easy, but sometimes hard to decide. Pay the man this year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">