• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gamjatang

new york
a dry cleaners in manhattan receives a notice of impemding levy from sheriff office. the notice is addressed to my address but named previous owner in 1986. i am the 4th owner since then.
it was for a judgment on commercial rent tax on june 1986.
could anyone help? Peter Park

L

loku

I am not positive about this, but the commercial rent tax was probably a personal liability of the previous owner. If that is the case and if there was not a lien on the property when you purchased it, you should have no problem, since it is not your debt. However, if there was a lien on the property when you purchased it, then the sheriff probably has the right to levy it.

Therefore, probably you can stop the proceding by contacting the sheriff and telling him that you are not the party named in the levy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">