• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ysabeau

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kansas

I was recently divorced, and even though living apart with a separate maintenance agreement on file as of October 2009, I still have to file as married since the divorce was not finalized until January 2010 (couldn't get a judge to hear it sooner).

The question is since I have paid quite a bit in books, fees and tuition for courses I took in 2009, is there any way I can get tax credit WITHOUT filing jointly with my ex-husband?

Also, if I do have to file jointly, what is my liability for his underpayment of taxes or any other future issues that may arise in regards to taxes since he is very fiscally irresponsible? Is there some sort of precedent for this situation to help define the best option to take legally?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kansas

I was recently divorced, and even though living apart with a separate maintenance agreement on file as of October 2009, I still have to file as married since the divorce was not finalized until January 2010 (couldn't get a judge to hear it sooner).

The question is since I have paid quite a bit in books, fees and tuition for courses I took in 2009, is there any way I can get tax credit WITHOUT filing jointly with my ex-husband?

Also, if I do have to file jointly, what is my liability for his underpayment of taxes or any other future issues that may arise in regards to taxes since he is very fiscally irresponsible? Is there some sort of precedent for this situation to help define the best option to take legally?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.
The only way to get education credits would be to file a joint return. There is no other option.

If you file jointly, there is no real way to sever your liability from his for the 2009 tax year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">