• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax liability after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

retrodiem

What is the name of your state? FL
I was divorced 8 years ago and don't think my ex filed our joint taxes for a couple of years when we were married. I did not work at the time and he took care of the finances. Below is what the divorce settlement says, but it doesn't cover NOT filing. Would I be liable now if he is audited and they discover he did not file?

thanks for any help

The parties acknowledge that they have previously filed joint tax returns, said returns having been prepared under the direction of both the Husband and the Wife and based upon information supplied by both the Husband and the Wife. The parties warrant that such returns are correct to the best of their knowledge, but in the event that any tax liability is asserted against the Husband or theWife jointly or individually. Arising out of any tax return herebefore jointly filed, the Husband shall be responsible for all costs, expenses and liability which may arise. Both parties shall cooperated fully and provide all necessary documents in the event of an audit based on any tax returns filed during the marriage.

abezon

The years you did not file are still open. However, you are not responsible for them. You had no iincome & can file your return married filing separately and still owe no taxes.

Contact the IRS to see if returns were filed for all years you were married. File your own separate return for any year that's unfiled. The IRS will contact him & he'll either have to file separately or get you to amend your return to file jointly (for which priviledge you'll require him to give you a cashier's check made out to the IRS for the full amount owed plus interest & penalties before you sign a joint return).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">