• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax liability regarding settlements that make you "whole"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffreich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am currently in the process of trying to settle out of court on a fail to disclose matter regarding my house and the developer. Since I am the first owner I am planning to ask as a settlement to make me “whole” meaning for them to pay me back for my mortgage payments, property taxes and house insurance payments and I would sign over the title/deed to the house to them. Since I would not be asking to make a gain on this just to make me “whole”, if they were to agree, would the settlement amount be taxable? Thank you for your help in this matter.

FlyingRon

If you deducted any of the interest and taxes, their refund to you would be taxable. Otherwise not.

Good luck with your negotiations. Unless the property was uninhabitable, getting the interest and taxes would be way more than making you whole.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">