• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Lien and Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b27shelle

What is the name of your state? California
The IRS placed a tax lien against me 3 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I went on permanent disability. I have been told that the IRS cannot have a lien against a person on disability and that I might be able to get this tax debt eliminated due to my disability. How accurate is this information and what rules apply to me in this situation?

Orebell

Not an expert but...

This is my personal opinion. I don't think this is true but someone may know otherwise. If anything the lien was placed before the disability so that might be an issue right there. I have friend who was getting a pension from the state of Ca because he worked for some school a long time ago. He was discharged because of a mental disability. The IRS as well as the state still put liens on him and collected when his home sold. Luckily I was able to reconstruct much of his past and was able to file tax returns and get most of what they took back. You could check the irs.gov website and maybe find something there. If you find something different please share with the folks here.

b27shelle said:
What is the name of your state? California
The IRS placed a tax lien against me 3 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I went on permanent disability. I have been told that the IRS cannot have a lien against a person on disability and that I might be able to get this tax debt eliminated due to my disability. How accurate is this information and what rules apply to me in this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">