• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on money rec'd from buyout of equity interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gobonas99

What is the name of your state? NY

My divorce is in the final stages (we've agreed on a settlement, and are just waiting for the judge to sign the papers).

As part of our settlement agreement, my ex is buying out my interest in our house, and just this past Friday, refinanced the house into his name alone. I should be getting my equity check from the bank tomorrow. :D

I plan to use the money to pay off my car loan, a loan from my parents for my lawyer's retainer, my credit card and part of my student loan....and then put the rest into savings. :)

BUT...that is on the assumption that I will not be taxed on my equity distribution come tax time next year. If I WILL be taxed on it, then I'll forgo paying down my student loan and save that money to pay the taxes.

So...Will I be taxed on the equity distribution?

Thanks!
-Christina

LdiJ

gobonas99 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My divorce is in the final stages (we've agreed on a settlement, and are just waiting for the judge to sign the papers).

As part of our settlement agreement, my ex is buying out my interest in our house, and just this past Friday, refinanced the house into his name alone. I should be getting my equity check from the bank tomorrow. :D

I plan to use the money to pay off my car loan, a loan from my parents for my lawyer's retainer, my credit card and part of my student loan....and then put the rest into savings. :)

BUT...that is on the assumption that I will not be taxed on my equity distribution come tax time next year. If I WILL be taxed on it, then I'll forgo paying down my student loan and save that money to pay the taxes.

So...Will I be taxed on the equity distribution?

Thanks!
-Christina
No, you will not be taxed on the equity division. Marital property settlements are neither taxable income nor deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">