• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on OPT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osaru

What is the name of your state? CA

I am currently working by using my OPT(will expire on may 2005) visa(I am from Japan). The accountant works for our company has been telling me that my salary has been deducted too much and will have to pay $2-3000 income tax soon because my employer has made my current status as single/single. I know that I have to pay Fed and state tax, but I am not sure if the things are done properly in terms of tax.
If it's not correct, what can I do to correct my status? and what is single/single status?

Snipes5

If they deducted too much, you'll get a refund, not owe tax. Go back to the Accountant and find out exactly what he meant if you don't understand what he said.

An accountant in California should easily be able to explain what he was talking about.

Snipes

abezon

Be sure you get an accountant/tax pro with experience preparing internation/non-resident returns, & who is willing to check the tax treaty to see if any provisions help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">