• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on Past Year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oscar1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I filed my taxes for tax year 2007. I did not include the 1099 that I received from my brokerage company. I just receive a notice from IRS that I owe some money which is calculated from the stock sales that I made for that year. I have the 1099 and the purchase amount far exceed how I sold the stocks for. How can I correct this. This is for tax year 2007

tranquility

What dave128 is trying to say, is that the letter you received tells you what to do if you disagree. You disagree.

Respond to the letter.

efflandt

Why did you neglect to file Schedule D? That is needed to account for cost basis, and if you sold stock for less than you paid for it, you could have taken up to $3000 loss deduction and carried any more than that over to following year. Without cost basis info, the IRS thinks that your stock sales were 100% profit (instead of a loss). So they think you owe them tax, even if they actually owe you money after you account for everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">