• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax preparer didnt file taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debadoo1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I had my taxes done last year by a local tax service, they gave me my papers back and it said that they efiled them and not to mail it. I have just found out that they didnt file (one year later). I called them and they told me I had to mail it. No discussion and they hung up. I was not told this and assumed it had been efiled as it said on the paper. Are they liable for any penalies that I will incurr from this? I understand I will probably have to pay the interest (which will kill my budget and pretty much break me). I also did not recieve a stimulus check because of this. What course of action can I take from this point? Any help will be appreciated.

20pilot

I understand I will probably have to pay the interest
The only way you would have to pay interest is if you had to send in money with your return last year. Did you send in the the money? If you did not send in the money, that should have been a clue for you that someting was wrong.

davew128

Did they tell you WHY they didn't e-file the return? If you were due a refund, did you ever question why it didn't arrive? Or why you didn't receive a stimulus check?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">