• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ram chandru

What is the name of your state? NJ

I have been a student for 5 years in US from Aug 2001. I am a native of India.
I started working full-time last September. I read that after five calendar years of schooling, the tax filing status for aliens would automatically change to "resident". I wanted to confirm this. If this is the case, I am assuming that I would have to file 1040EZ or 1040A or 1040 for the federal tax?

The other main question I have is with respect to foreign income. While I was still in school last year, I had been to UK from Jan-March 2006 on an internship. If I were to file as a resident for 2006 taxes, should I mention the money earned during my 3-month internship in UK?

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

I have been a student for 5 years in US from Aug 2001. I am a native of India.
I started working full-time last September. I read that after five calendar years of schooling, the tax filing status for aliens would automatically change to "resident". I wanted to confirm this. If this is the case, I am assuming that I would have to file 1040EZ or 1040A or 1040 for the federal tax?

The other main question I have is with respect to foreign income. While I was still in school last year, I had been to UK from Jan-March 2006 on an internship. If I were to file as a resident for 2006 taxes, should I mention the money earned during my 3-month internship in UK?

Thanks!What is the name of your state?
A person can file a tax return as a US resident under the "substantial pressence" test, however it would not apply to you if you are still here under your student visa, and your status has not changed.

Read the following:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96352,00.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">