• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax question child care / this is also posted in the child support section

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feastervilee

What is the name of your state?Maine her's is Colorado

I know i've already asked this question, but I did some research and would like to reask if i could, now that i know what i am asking for:

My child support is taken out of my check every week and given to me ex through DHS. My child support before never contributed to her child care expenses, but we have it readjusted so it does now. I pay 110.00 child support 55.00 child care a week for two kids. But it's all combined as one payment. But on the child support worksheet it is broken down.

My question is, the 55.00 that i am putting about for child care, do i do something with that come tax time? I'm not paying the daycare (aka her boyfriend for the time being) the money goes directly to her, and she does with it what she wants really. Feburary though she will have to provide me with proof of what she's paying for child care, i have no idea what she will show me. Can she just write anything down on her taxes of what she paid out? Do i put on my tax return what i'm paying her to pay for daycare, or a babysitter?

feastervilee

Isn't that for her not me that website? I don't pay a daycare directly, i pay her then she pays the daycare. I pay 45% she pays 55%. But my money goes directly to her.....

Can i take the 2860.00 that i've paid her out of my child support and put that amount somewhere on my taxes ?

I need someone who can further explain this to me, any help is welcomed

thanks

rmet4nzkx

Well if you can't get your answer from the IRS, and you can call them during tax season and ask a live person your question:
Live Telephone Assistance for people with hearing impairments
During the tax-filing season, the IRS will include service on Saturdays from January 24 through April 10, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (local time). For further information, see Tax Topic 102 . Tele-Tax recorded tax information: Call 1-800-829-4477 .
or ask your tax preparer because it will depend on your return.

Snipes5

You can claim childcare expenses. However, you will have to get the SSN or Employer Identification Number of the "Childcare", so you can put it on your return.

Good luck with that one. It depends on how much you want to piss off your ex and her boyfriend, since if you take the childcare credit, he will HAVE to declare the income (which he should be doing anyway) and pay self-employment taxes on it.

Snipes

Shay-Pari'e

Snipes5 said:
You can claim childcare expenses. No he can't, child support is not tax deductable.

However, you will have to get the SSN or Employer Identification Number of the "Childcare", so you can put it on your return. He does not pay the day care.

Good luck with that one. It depends on how much you want to piss off your ex and her boyfriend, since if you take the childcare credit, he will HAVE to declare the income (which he should be doing anyway) and pay self-employment taxes on it. Wrong, if he takes that credit, he will have his butt audited.

Snipes5

Childcare expenses and Child Support are two different things. I am well aware that child support is neither taxable nor deductible anywhere on a tax return. They teach that in about week 4 of Tax Prep 101.

Childcare expenses aren't a deduction. I didn't say they were. If his C/S is broken down, and indeed part of it is CHILDCARE, then he can claim the credit, although he may be skating on slightly thin ice if he is not paying it directly to a childcare provider.

The whole thing smells anyway. Sounds like the ex found a way to get more money which she isn't really paying to anyone. Which I am sure will be brought to light when the OP tries to get the boyfriend's SSN.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">