• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax ramifications on "Deed in lieu of" and "Short Sale" of a mortgaged home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eaglelvr

Tax ramifications on "Deed in lieu of" and "Short Sale" of a mortgaged home

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Can someone please tell me what the tax ramifications will be on a Deed in lieu of or a short sale of a mortgaged home.

We will not make any profit off of either, but will we still have to pay taxes on it?

Thanks in advanced!

Snipes5

Sure, if you tell me what a "short sale of a mortgaged home" is.

What matters is how long you have owned the home, whether or not you rented it out, if you lived in it, and for how long.

The fact that you have a mortgage on it is completely immaterial.

Snipes

Eaglelvr

A short sale is when the mortgage company allows you to sell your property for less then the mortgaged amount and forgives the rest of the debt. A deed in lieu of is when you just give the property back to the mortgage company and they sell and get what they can for it.

Snipes5

I believe if debt is forgiven and you surrender property, there is no tax liability.

You may want to check this in the "mortgages and foreclosures" section of the boards.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">