• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dacollier

What is the name of your state?Texas

I am a single mother of 2 children. Over the past 9 years someone has claimed my daughter 5 times on the Earned (or unearned?) Income Credit. The first 2 times it happened the I.R.S. had me send in proof that my daughter was mine and living with me as a dependent. the last 3 years in a row that it has happened all I have had to do is file a second form and write in the 'comments' section what is happening. I have called the I.R.S. and have asked what can I do to stop this from happening year after year and they basically told me that I can't do anything and that the only way that I might avoid having to file the other forms is to file before this other person does. So it is a race every year and unfortunately they have beaten me every year. This a a big hassle. I believe it is my ex who is filing on my daughter but do not know it for a fact, but I don't know where he is or what he is doing. Is there ANTHING I can do to stop this from happening?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">