• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Hi,

I am doing my tax return right now. Need help from on how to do it.

My son is 17 years old and work part time after school. He made about $8,000 last year. The question is should I fill a return to claim him as a dependent OR let him to fill the tax return on his own?

Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Hi,

I am doing my tax return right now. Need help from on how to do it.

My son is 17 years old and work part time after school. He made about $8,000 last year. The question is should I fill a return to claim him as a dependent OR let him to fill the tax return on his own?

Thanks!
Both. He is still your dependent, but he also needs to file his own tax return, filing in the spot that says that he is a dependent on someone else's return.

shawnusa

Both. He is still your dependent, but he also needs to file his own tax return, filing in the spot that says that he is a dependent on someone else's return.
Thank you so much for your help.

Do I need to add his W2 to my return? Or add his income to my return?

LdiJ

Thank you so much for your help.

Do I need to add his W2 to my return? Or add his income to my return?
NO...he files his own tax return, with his own income, and marks on his tax return that he is a dependent of someone else. If you will look at a 1040 EZ, line 5 there is a box to check to show that you are a dependent of someone else. Or, in the alternative, if you have a professional handle your return then have them do your son's as well.

shawnusa

no...he files his own tax return, with his own income, and marks on his tax return that he is a dependent of someone else. If you will look at a 1040 ez, line 5 there is a box to check to show that you are a dependent of someone else. Or, in the alternative, if you have a professional handle your return then have them do your son's as well.
thank you so much!!!

shawnusa

Just one more question. I am doing the tax return now and noticed that my son's income is $5,000. The tax software says that I do not need to fill a tax return for my son because the income is < $6,100. Is that true?

Thanks!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Was money withheld from Federal withholdings - box 2? If so, he would want his money back. Personally, this is a good learning experience for your child. I have allowed my child to do her tax return under adult supervision.

shawnusa

Was money withheld from Federal withholdings - box 2? If so, he would want his money back. Personally, this is a good learning experience for your child. I have allowed my child to do her tax return under adult supervision.
You are right, there is a money withheld in box 2, so he has to fill the return to get the money back.

Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">