• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax return for a deceased person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I got to thinking about my dads income tax return that was never filed after he died. I was reading on the internet that some retired people may be entitled to EIC credit so my question is how long (how many years) does a person have to file an old reurn?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I got to thinking about my dads income tax return that was never filed after he died. I was reading on the internet that some retired people may be entitled to EIC credit so my question is how long (how many years) does a person have to file an old reurn?
A retired person would not be eligible for EIC unless they actually had some earned income. (wages or self employment income).

A person has 3 years to file a tax return and still collect a refund.

yes he did have earned income from the part time job he had. he retired from the hospital (x-ray dept) and still worked 2 days a week. he was 74 when he died during routine surgery.

LdiJ

yes he did have earned income from the part time job he had. he retired from the hospital (x-ray dept) and still worked 2 days a week. he was 74 when he died during routine surgery.
Then whoever was executor of his estate likely should have filed a final tax return for him. That does not however, automatically mean that he would have any EIC, or even a refund for that matter.

but the time limit is 3 years? there was no will and i am the only child. biological mother hasnt been in the picture since i was very young.

LdiJ

but the time limit is 3 years? there was no will and i am the only child. biological mother hasnt been in the picture since i was very young.
Yes, the time limit is three years. However I don't think that you should be looking at any kind of serious windfall. There is little likelihood that a retired person would have been due any significant refund.

davew128

All of you are missing one crucial element. If there are no qualifying children (OP is an only child and apparently an indendent adult), this late taxpayer is ineligible for EIC due to his age.

LdiJ

All of you are missing one crucial element. If there are no qualifying children (OP is an only child and apparently an indendent adult), this late taxpayer is ineligible for EIC due to his age.
Ah yes...I was neglecting the upper limit...my bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">