• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax return with divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smokey29

What is the name of your state? TN

My wife left me in March of 2005. I signed divorce papers in July but I don't think it is final yet or even filed as I have not heard anything and I don't talk to her.

Just wondering how this will affect my taxes and my filing status? We always filed jointly before but we have not lived together almost the whole year.

BTW, we have no children.

Last edited:

abezon

Unless your divorce is finalized (court decree) by 12/31/2005, your available filing statuses are married separate and married joint. You 2 can still file jointly even though you didn't live together.

I suggest you contact the courthouse listed on the divorce papers to check the status of the case. If things aren't final, you should contact your wife somehow & determine whether you will be divorced by 12/31, & if not, whether you'll file jointly. If you end up filing married separate, you'll probably have a substantial balance due in April, so you should get your taxes prepared as soon as possible. You can file a balance due return in February and still don't have to send in a check until 4/15.

You can file "Single" if you are legally separated under a separate maintenance decree. If your divorce is final on the last day of the year, you are considered unmarried for the entire year, and then cannot file a joint return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">