• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax returns for full time students

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathem5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I'm a full time student at the University of Washington and I worked three jobs in 2008. I received bi-weekly paychecks with federal taxes withheld from my summer job and school year job (retail position and dance teacher). However my third job was choreographing two musicals for a high school that payed me in one lump sum at the end of each show (No taxes withheld). In the past I have gotten a return from my taxes, but this year I had to pay $339.00. Both my roommate and her father claim that I will get this money back as part of my return because I'm a full-time student. Is this true? I don't know if I believe them, but I sure would like to!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I'm a full time student at the University of Washington and I worked three jobs in 2008. I received bi-weekly paychecks with federal taxes withheld from my summer job and school year job (retail position and dance teacher). However my third job was choreographing two musicals for a high school that payed me in one lump sum at the end of each show (No taxes withheld). In the past I have gotten a return from my taxes, but this year I had to pay $339.00. Both my roommate and her father claim that I will get this money back as part of my return because I'm a full-time student. Is this true? I don't know if I believe them, but I sure would like to!
They may be referring to the fact that you may be eligible for an education credit. If you are not the dependent of your parents and if you have any tuition that wasn't covered by scholarships or grants, you may be eligible for an education credit. You would have to amend your return to take advantage of the credit, if you are eligible.

xylene

However my third job was choreographing two musicals for a high school that payed me in one lump sum at the end of each show (No taxes withheld).
How much were you paid and did you receive any 1099 for this work?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">