• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax treatment for money received from abroad temporarily (neither income nor gift)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rschenle

Hello. Thanks for reading. I am a US resident. A friend of mine, a non-US person working abroad, has part of his salary deposited in my US account via wire transfer (he needed a bank account when he started his job, he didn't have one, and he hasn't bothered to open one yet; he does comply with local taxes). I will soon be transferring all his money to an account in his name. I wonder if and how to report this money. It is neither income nor gift, and I will soon part from all of it. I haven't found any information on irs.gov covering this kind of situation. Maybe someone could point me to where I may read about this in irs.gov. Thanks once again. Robert.

LdiJ

Hello. Thanks for reading. I am a US resident. A friend of mine, a non-US person working abroad, has part of his salary deposited in my US account via wire transfer (he needed a bank account when he started his job, he didn't have one, and he hasn't bothered to open one yet; he does comply with local taxes). I will soon be transferring all his money to an account in his name. I wonder if and how to report this money. It is neither income nor gift, and I will soon part from all of it. I haven't found any information on irs.gov covering this kind of situation. Maybe someone could point me to where I may read about this in irs.gov. Thanks once again. Robert.
How much money are we talking about?

rschenle

100k. Why would the amount make a difference? Have read makes a difference for gifts, yet this is no gift. Thanks.

ps: apologies for not responding sooner, I did not get an email indicating there was a response.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

100k. Why would the amount make a difference? Have read makes a difference for gifts, yet this is no gift. Thanks.

ps: apologies for not responding sooner, I did not get an email indicating there was a response.
The problem is that you've likely broken the laws for both money laundering and the tax code in the US with that much money. The threshold is low ($10,000 over the course of an entire year).

LdiJ

That much money absolutely had to be reported to the federal government. You are going to need a consult with an attorney before you move that money. When you move it the bank will have to report it. You need to get on top of it ASAP.

rschenle

Thanks for the responses!

Report it how? Any leads into where to look for this in irs.gov or what form to fill?

Last edited:

rschenle

Bump. Would anyone know what IRS form to fill to report this? (this = money received from abroad temporarily that is neither income nor gift)

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">