• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxation following green card application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kit75

What is the name of your state?
District of Columbia

Here is my situation.

I am visiting research fellow currently working for US governmental agency and I got one tax question. Would you please answer it?
I am a citizen of Ukraine working in US for the fourth year now. I was a resident of Ukraine on my arrival to US in 2002. Although I already met IRS substantial presence test, I still entitled to claim the benefits of US/Ukraine tax treaty. According to the exception to the savings clause to the article defining the residence I am to file 1040NR and 8833 form as a nonresident tax-exempt alien until the end of 5 full year of my fellowship period. My question is: ?In case I start my immigration process to US, say, in October 2005 applying for a green card do I need to file 1040 form as a RESIDENT ALIEN for the WHOLE 2005 year, or I need to file 1040NR for January-September 2005 as a NONRESIDENT ALIEN and 1040 form for October ? December 2005 as a RESIDENT ALIEN. My green card application is STILL PENDING so, may I claim tax exemption according to US/Ukraine tax treaty for any period of 2005?

Many thanks in advance and happy New Year

Snipes5

If you have a pending Green Card application, it is in your best interest NOT to attempt to benefit from a treaty provision. That's a bit like trying to have your cake and eat it too, and it makes the immigration people quite unhappy.

Filing dual status MAY be okay, but I wouldn't want to do anything that would even remotely raise the ire of immigration.

There are others here who can give you a more specific answer.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">