• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes from abroad...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kens64

Hi, I have some questions about filing taxes from abroad.

I thought I didn't have to file them (my mom told me that :eek:) but that was incorrect, so I haven't filed for 2007. How do I get started with that and what do I need? I am now in another country so I don't have many records from the country I was working in then. I can secure records, I think, but I'd like to find out exactly what I need first. I guess I'll start there.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

LdiJ

Hi, I have some questions about filing taxes from abroad.

I thought I didn't have to file them (my mom told me that :eek:) but that was incorrect, so I haven't filed for 2007. How do I get started with that and what do I need? I am now in another country so I don't have many records from the country I was working in then. I can secure records, I think, but I'd like to find out exactly what I need first. I guess I'll start there.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.
US citizens are required to file income taxes on their world wide income. They are allowed to exclude from tax, via form 2555 a specific amount of foreign earned income each year. They also receive credit for foreign taxes paid.

Therefore you should have filed a form 1040, with a form 2555 for 2007, and will need to do the same for 2008.

The records that you need are the income that you earned, and the taxes that you paid.

irsos

US citizens are required to file income taxes on their world wide income. They are allowed to exclude from tax, via form 2555 a specific amount of foreign earned income each year. They also receive credit for foreign taxes paid.

Therefore you should have filed a form 1040, with a form 2555 for 2007, and will need to do the same for 2008.

The records that you need are the income that you earned, and the taxes that you paid.
They cannot exclude the income AND get a credit for taxes paid on that income. It is one or the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">