• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes and bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sintaurean

I know in previous years, it was possible to include back taxes in bankruptcy filings as long as you were at least two years behind. What are the laws pertaining to this now?

LdiJ

I know in previous years, it was possible to include back taxes in bankruptcy filings as long as you were at least two years behind. What are the laws pertaining to this now?
Federal taxes can sometimes be discharged in bankruptcy, but its not a question of being two years behind. Its a question of how old the tax debt is. I believe it has to be 4 years old or older. However, I haven't had reason to double check that lately.

davew128

Federal taxes can sometimes be discharged in bankruptcy, but its not a question of being two years behind. Its a question of how old the tax debt is. I believe it has to be 4 years old or older. However, I haven't had reason to double check that lately.
I haven't had to deal with per se, but as I do collections I can tell you that it has to have been filed more than two years prior and due more than three years prior to the bankruptcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">