• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes for being a nanny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soblessed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My question is this. If I am a nanny for a family and we are doing it completely legal, having federal, social security, etc taken out of each check (and them matching it) what are the taxes like for me when I go to file the beginning of the year? I have heard from a couple who've done it this way that it's as if you're a business owner and have to pay state taxes (which, I think is about 20% of what you make and file in January instead when state taxes are due?) It just doesn't seem quite right to get taxed that way when the income would be ridiculously low if taxed that way when I only work part time. I emailed someone from state taxes but have not heard back yet. Just wanted to figure it out to know if I need to pull extra money out or not from checks.

pattytx

Since they're withholding taxes, they are treating you as an employee, not as a business (independent contractor).

FlyingRon

As patty says, if they're withholding taxes, you're just like any other worker. You will get a W-2 form at the end of the year indicating what they withheld and what you made. You file your tax return and barring some miscalculating or other circumstances (like you are working a second job), you'll probably get a little refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">