• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes, capital losses, marriage, joint returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

topangasylvia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon.

I had a huge capital loss years ago and now have a tax credit of 3000.00 a year. In addition, I own a couple of rental properties with the tax advantages of mortgages and expenses.

I'm considering getting married to the man I've been living with. If we filed jointly, as a legally married couple, could he take advantage of my tax credits?

FlyingRon

I had a huge capital loss years ago and now have a tax credit of 3000.00 a year. In addition, I own a couple of rental properties with the tax advantages of mortgages and expenses.
There are tax advantages to mortgages and expenses? Only against the income these property (or other passive activities) generate.
I'm considering getting married to the man I've been living with. If we filed jointly, as a legally married couple, could he take advantage of my tax credits?
You can JOINTLY use the carried over loss on your subsequent returns.

LdiJ

There are tax advantages to mortgages and expenses? Only against the income these property (or other passive activities) generate.

You can JOINTLY use the carried over loss on your subsequent returns.
If they manage the rental homes themselves its not a passive activity. As long as they make less than the income ceiling they can take their rental losses, up to a certain level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">