• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes for DBA same as SSN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariv09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello all,

I am thinking about registering a DBA so that I don't have to conduct business using my natural name. I've heard several versions of the story and official IRS websites are too technical for me. I just have 1 simple question:

When utilizing a DBA, do I need some sort of additional registration to pay taxes (EIN, etc?) or I just report income as self-employed under my SSN?

A million thanks to all!

tranquility

DBA has nothing to do with taxes. You may want an EIN in case someone wants to give you a 1099 and you don't want to give out your SSN.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello all,

I am thinking about registering a DBA so that I don't have to conduct business using my natural name. I've heard several versions of the story and official IRS websites are too technical for me. I just have 1 simple question:

When utilizing a DBA, do I need some sort of additional registration to pay taxes (EIN, etc?) or I just report income as self-employed under my SSN?

A million thanks to all!
Some states require you to register a DBA. That does not have anything to do with tax. It also might be in your best interest to have an EIN (employers identifical number) but again, it would not necessarily effect tax.

You could form a single member LLC in most states, with an EIN number, and it would be disregarded entity for tax purposes. You would still file a schedule C as self employed.

However, there can also be some benefit to setting up an S-corp, or setting up an LLC that elects to file as an S-corp.

You should really get a consult with a local tax professional who can ask questions back and forth and give you advice based on your particular situation.

ariv09

Some states require you to register a DBA. That does not have anything to do with tax. It also might be in your best interest to have an EIN (employers identifical number) but again, it would not necessarily effect tax.

You could form a single member LLC in most states, with an EIN number, and it would be disregarded entity for tax purposes. You would still file a schedule C as self employed.

However, there can also be some benefit to setting up an S-corp, or setting up an LLC that elects to file as an S-corp.

You should really get a consult with a local tax professional who can ask questions back and forth and give you advice based on your particular situation.
Thank you for your input... This is my first time setting up a business by myself, so the help is greatly appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">