• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes due on foreclosed home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandrat

What is the name of your state? New Mexico
We had a home in Colorado (we have been in NM for the last 2 years) that we signed over the deed in lieu of foreclosure and they relieved us of the deficiency. The amount owed was $99,000 and they sold the home for $50,000. We are now told we owe $11,000 in taxes because we have to pay taxes on the difference. If this is correct what do we do now. I couldn't pay the house payment much less come up with $11,000.

S

seniorjudge

I don't know the answer to your tax question, but this is not a foreclosed home.

You sold it cheap.

sandrat

We didn't sell it the mortgage company did. If it isn't foreclosed how come it shows as repossesed on my credit?

S

seniorjudge

sandrat said:
We didn't sell it the mortgage company did. If it isn't foreclosed how come it shows as repossesed on my credit?
It was, as you said, repossessed, not foreclosed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">