• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes on gifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Canamerican

What is the name of your state? Ohio
If I recieve a monitary gift from a reletive, do I have to pay tax? What is the percentage? Is there an amount that I can recieve without paying tax?

Some Random Guy

Quite right. I should have been clearer. The Donor pays the gift tax.

Though usually people try to spread the payments over a period of years so that taxes are not necessary.

Snipes5

Actually, until up to 1.2M has been gifted, the donor will merely use up his unified gift credit before any actual tax need be paid.

Snipes

Canamerican

Total income

So if the only money I recieve in a year is money gifted from my grandmother, then do I need to file a tax form? I have been staying with her for 9 months and aside from a $2500 vacation package I won, the only money I have recieved is from her in the form of checks labeled "gift". I have not taken the vacation yet, so I asume I don't count that as income untill and unless I do.

jkruler

Money recieved as a gift does not need to be reported, and if your only other receipt was a 2500 dollar prize, then you do not need to file.

ablessin

It doesn't sound like large sums of money, and if we had to pay taxes on gift monies, I'd tell my grandma I don't want $$ at Christmas anymore!!!!!!!

Money obtained thru inheritance is not taxed by recipient either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">