• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes living abroad???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil' pixie

What is the name of your state? used to be Ohio

Hi all... I have a few questions.

I moved to the UK in early 2002 and have an ILR (indefinite leave to remain). I have been over here for about 2 and a half years only making 1 visit to Ohio in 2003 for a week.

I found out this year that I am supposed to be filing US taxes every year even though I am a resident of the UK.

I have not filed US taxes for 3 years, so now the IRS has sent me 3 years worth of books so I can file all my back taxes.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to file these taxes?
2) If I do have to file, am I gonna be penalized?
3) Is there anywhere I can get help to file because I have no idea what I am doing?
4) My husband is British, does he have to be added in on these taxes?
5) I filed UK taxes, does this make a difference?

Thanks for any help... It is greatly appreciated.

lil' pixie

Snipes5

1) Yes, if you are a US Citizen, you must file according to the same criteria as all other US Citizens.
2) If you have a balance due, yes, you will have interest and penalties.
3) The IRS has offices in most countries. Try the US Embassy in London, they should be able to give you the number for the local IRS contact.
4) No, he does not have to be included, unless he holds a US Green Card.
5) Yes. This will reduce the amount of US taxes you have to pay.

In all likelyhood you probably won't have to pay any tax to the US. However, you must file if you meet the income levels for those required to file.

There are many variables to your situation, don't attempt to resolve this without help.

Snipes

abezon

Experienced help. From someone who isn't afraid to dig into the UK-US tax treaty. For example, you may want to claim a foreign tax credit instead of excluding your earned income, because you could then get a refundable child tax credit if you have kids (currently or in future).

Expect tax prep to run $150-200 US per year. At least the pound is way up with respect to the dollar!

lil' pixie

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the replies...

Now all I have to do is get help filling these forms out!! Wish me luck in finding someone...

If anyone knows of a site that will help me fill these forms out, please let me know!

Thanks again :)

lil' pixie

p.s. Do you happen to know what the guidelines are (income wise) or if I can be exempt from filing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">