• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes paid to wrong state, employer liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eppy32

What is the name of your state? North Carolina and Maryland

I am in deep tax doo-doo, and honestly I feel like it is pretty much my fault for being oblivious. However, in 1999 I lived in Maryland for 2 months, and never did anything to establish residency there. So, long story short, with penalties and all, NC wants about 4k from me, because my employer sent all of my money to Maryland. There is so much more going on here with trying to get the money to NC, but can my previous employer be held liable at all for sending the money to the wrong state?

Also, I have zip zero $$. Will they be happy if I tell them to just start garnishing my wages? Also, can my husband claim injured spouse since we were married after 1999?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

E

eppy32

Yes, the entire year was paid to Maryland, and I only lived in Maryland for 2 months out of that year. North Carolina has just now contacted me wanting their money, and honestly I was totally oblivious to all of this.

abezon

Go to a NC tax pro & file a return/amendment. I'm sure NC allows some sort of credit for taxes paid to another state. You should also check with MD to see if you can file for 1999 & get a refund. Also check to see if NC sent you notice of the deficiency within the time limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">