• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrisguitarro@h

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Hi, i reside in NC with my wife but i worked in NYC most of the year, now to do my taxes how is that going to affect them, she worked in NC as a nurse and i worked as a freelance in New york city, we where thinking about doing our taxes joint, do you recomend to do that? i'm a new resident (i was born in Mexico) so i haven't had expierence with taxes at all, hope you can help, my wife is a little freaked out that our taxes are going to be very large since in worked in the city and we've heard working in the city, taxes are really high

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Hi, i reside in NC with my wife but i worked in NYC most of the year, now to do my taxes how is that going to affect them, she worked in NC as a nurse and i worked as a freelance in New york city, we where thinking about doing our taxes joint, do you recomend to do that? i'm a new resident (i was born in Mexico) so i haven't had expierence with taxes at all, hope you can help, my wife is a little freaked out that our taxes are going to be very large since in worked in the city and we've heard working in the city, taxes are really high
This is one year when you should really use a tax professional to ensure that you handle the state taxes properly. Its is generally always better to file a joint return, but again, a local tax professional is really needed this time.

SIN EATER

You have to prepare returns & pay three income taxes:
New York City Income Tax
New York State Income Tax
Federal Income Tax

You should, indeed, use a tax professional (unless one of you is very mathematically inclined - each have very good websites).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">