• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes witheld in pay, but got 1099. No witholdings ever sent to IRS.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doemon

My previous company withheld taxes from my pay. Let's say I was supposed to be paid 10,000, but they withheld 3,000 for tax, medicare, etc (or at least paid me as if they were withholding), so I ended up with 7,000 in pocket. But instead of getting a W2 that shows the withholding, I got a 1099 saying I was paid 7,000 without any witholdings, and they told me they haven't paid the IRS any of the missing 3,000. What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Report this to your state office. Since you didn't list a state, I can't give you any more than that.

LdiJ

My previous company withheld taxes from my pay. Let's say I was supposed to be paid 10,000, but they withheld 3,000 for tax, medicare, etc (or at least paid me as if they were withholding), so I ended up with 7,000 in pocket. But instead of getting a W2 that shows the withholding, I got a 1099 saying I was paid 7,000 without any witholdings, and they told me they haven't paid the IRS any of the missing 3,000. What should I do?
What they did was blatantly illegal. Do you have your last paycheck stub for 2013...or any paycheck stubs?

doemon

Report this to your state office. Since you didn't list a state, I can't give you any more than that.
Sorry, state is CA, but the business (company) is in UT.

Never got paystubs from them. In 2012, however, I did get a W2. In 2013, I got paid salary just as I was in 2012 (the amount after withholdings), but then i quit in April. Then last month i got a 1099. I'm guessing after I quit, they decided to pocket the witholdings.

LdiJ

Sorry, state is CA, but the business (company) is in UT.

Never got paystubs from them. In 2012, however, I did get a W2. In 2013, I got paid salary just as I was in 2012 (the amount after withholdings), but then i quit in April. Then last month i got a 1099. I'm guessing after I quit, they decided to pocket the witholdings.
Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and talk to them about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">