• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxing for non US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stutisheel

I'm a non US citizen working as freelance journalist for European agencies. From time to time I receive Wire Transfers and Pay Pal transfers outside US to my personal checking account here in States. Are they subject to tax?
Thanks

davew128

I'm a non US citizen working as freelance journalist for European agencies. From time to time I receive Wire Transfers and Pay Pal transfers outside US to my personal checking account here in States. Are they subject to tax?
Thanks
Maybe, maybe not. Is it income? Are you a US resident?

stutisheel

I fall into "US resident alien" category. I have US checking account but with my I-visa (journalism) I cant work in States. So I'm working as freelancer for European company.

LdiJ

I fall into "US resident alien" category. I have US checking account but with my I-visa (journalism) I cant work in States. So I'm working as freelancer for European company.
Ok, If I understand correctly you are a non-resident journalist who is currently operating in the US on behalf of European news agencies. You are occasionally receiving money from individuals for one reason or another, who are outside of the US, but not for work you performed. Correct? If so, that money is not taxable, but it may need to be reported if it exceeds certain levels (for homeland security purposes)

LdiJ

correct. and thanks!
but what is the certain level you are speaking about? and report to whom? IRS?
Anything over 100,000 dollars in a calendar year. Its IRS form 3520. It is a separate form that is submitted to the IRS to report the gift. It is NOT a tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">