• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Resident State Tax Withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jody Tversky

Quick Question:

My permanant residence is Connecticut. I am working at a temporray position in Hawaii (9 months). I plan to file a Connecticut State Tax return but some money was withheld from the state of Hawaii as indicated on my Hawaii job W2. Is that money considered "paid" to the state of Hawaii? Is the money accounted for by the State of Connecticut? Do I need to submit a tax return to both states?

Thanks - Jody Tversky

Snipes5

Yes, you will have to file both states.

If your CT job is temporary, you may want to file a full year HI return, and as a Non-Resident for CT.

You may pay more tax that way, but it will look a lot more legitimate for all those temporary job expenses you'll be claiming on your schedule A.

Snipes

Jody Tversky

Snipes:

Thanks once again. Did you reverse those to states? My Connecticut job is/was permanant for the past 3 years until Oct 2004. I will likewise soon be returning to the east coast as my HAWAII job is temporary with a total 8 month start-stop contract. Thus I will file as a full year CT resident and Hawaii non-resident return. I believe that is most accurate based on what you recommend.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Jody Tversky, MD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">