• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas gift tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mrscorky

What is the name of your state? Texas
My brother is selling his home in Massachusetts and plans to split the proceeds with all his siblings, two in Texas, one in Calif and two in Mass. The amount should be around $66,000 each.
What can we expect to pay in gift tax? Is there a better way to dispurse the funds to avoid some of the tax? My sister and I live in Texas and are anxious to hear from you.

abezon

Nobody pays anything, but your brother has to file a gift tax return in 2003. It's Form 706 or 709. The first 11,000 he gives anyone is tax free; any amounts over that reduce his unified gift and estate tax credit. Remember that estate tax rule that says any estate under $1,000,000 if tax free? Well, the gifts he gives over $11,000/year/person just reduce that $1,000,000. In other words, it's no big deal. Frankly, if his estate is over a million, he should be seeing a sophisticated tax & estate planner anyway.

That said, he won't effect his estate taxes if he gives you $11,000 a year for 6 years, or if he gives $11,000 to every person in your family.

He could also donate up to $55,000 into a section 521 plan to pay for your kids' educations. The Sec 521 plan is like a Roth IRA -- the money goes into a tax deferred account and grows as your kids grow. Later, any money used to pay for the kids' college is withdrawn tax free. The plan beneficiary can be changed among siblings if one doesn't go to college or doesn't need to use all the money in the plan. Talk to a financial planner about whether it's better for you to have bro give you the cash or put $$ into a 521 plan, or some combo of both. Also, make sure the planner you consult is qualified to sell all the 521 plans. The 521 funds are run by each state and some planners only broker 5-6 state plans.

M

Mrscorky

Thanks, that great news for him. Are we going to have to declare the $66,000 as income? He inherited the house 10 years ago and has lived in it since then. I don't know if he's paid the inheritance tax, but imagine he probably has.

abezon

No. Gifts are not income.

The estate paid the estate taxes before he received title to the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">