• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there liabilities in closing an account at freelancer.com with funds in it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

THIS THREAD WAS CREATED BY USERNOMORE, and the original post is quoted below:

Hello. Are there any liabilities/fees/charges/taxes/fines/any-kind-of-problem if one closes her account at freelancer.com leaving a small sum in it.
I have something like 4$ earned on the website in the account, but I don't want to withdraw them. The support desk said that the funds will stay in the account forever on hold after the account is closed (in case one wanted to open it again). The point is that the account will never be reopened, so these funds will basically stay there. Are there any legal concerns about leaving money in that way on such a website? (i.e. will I be sued in any way for any reason because of this "pending money"?).
Here there are freelancer.com ToS: https://www.freelancer.com/page.php?p=info/terms .
Please, any help is very much welcome.

(PS: if this is the wrong section of the forum, please tell me).
I suggest you contact the site and inquire of them.

Last edited:

usernomore

I suggest you contact the site and inquire of them.
Already tried that. I'm getting nowhere because the support desk is run by people who keep doing copy&paste with completely unrelated parts of their ToS. What I'm looking for is a legal advice.

quincy

Already tried that. I'm getting nowhere because the support desk is run by people who keep doing copy&paste with completely unrelated parts of their ToS. What I'm looking for is a legal advice.
You will need to review the specifics of your account with an attorney in your area, usernomore, because the terms of service of that site obligates you depending on the facts of your use of the site.

For example, if you have been inactive on the site for 365 days, there is a "dormant account fee of $10 per month" until the account is terminated by you. If you had insufficient funds in your account, to pay for whatever service you may have used, you have given the site the right to collect funds "by any legal means." There are, in addition, fines of $3000 per violation, if you have in any way violated the terms of service.

Because opening an account on the site bound you contractually to the terms of service, you really need to have all facts personally reviewed by a professional in your area to see where you stand legally. There is no way for us to do such a personal review on this forum.

Are you in the United States?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">