• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time frames to file.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlmarl

What is the name of your state?Washington State...

Please advise, It is and has been my understanding that if the IRS owes you a refund that you have 3 years in which you are required to file a return for that year.

I have done this for a number of years without issue until now. I am positive that I was advised of this by an IRS employee and had read it in one of the IRS publications.

Does anyone know difinatively what is correct and an IRS publication or topic number that covers this issue.

I received a call fron the IRS today and the person I spoke with said that there was some form of ruling on this but that how do they know I don't owe if I don't file. If the rule is 3 years, than it stands to reason I would not file. She seemed to want to dance around the issue.

They are threatening to make an assesement for 2003 if I do not file ASAP.

Thank you for the help!

:confused:

efflandt

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=122522,00.html

You can file or phone form 4868 for a 4 month extension of the normal April 15 filing date, and possibly form 2688 for an additional 2 months if you have a very good reason (not automatically approved).

Just because you have 3 years to possibly file an ammended return does not mean that you do not have to do anything at all by the usual filing date. Otherwise they may do it for you, and you might not get deductions or exemptions you are entitled to. If they determine from the incomplete data that you owe them money, you could be penalized.

If you are due a refund, why would you NOT file as soon as possible?

Snipes5

If you meet the filing requirements, notice that says filing REQUIREMENTS, for your age, filing status and income, you are REQUIRED TO FILE.

If you are single under age 65, and earned more than $7950 in 2004, you were required to file, period, whether you were owed a refund or had a balance due. There are other filing requirements as well, based on type of income, but the $7950 is a general rule that fits the majority.

If you are owed a refund and do not file within 3 years of the due date of the return, the IRS will keep the money. However, this DOES NOT absolve you of the REQUIREMENT to file a return.

There is NO statute of limitations on an unfiled tax return. If you are required to file, you must file, period.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">