• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Limit to Claim Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tridans

I received a notice from the IRS demanding taxes due, penalties and interest for return not filed for tax year 2005. I thought I had filed for all previous years and was very surprised that this year was missed. I used an online tax service to fill out and prepare my tax return for 2005 and sent it in. This tax return included a refund due to me of $4357.00. Today I received a letter from the IRS stating that they did not have to pay the refund because it had been more than 3 years since the return was due (April 15, 2006). They did not dispute the return, they simply said they did not have to pay it. Is it true that they can hunt me down until the day I'm dead if I owe them money but I only have 36 months to collect money they owe me or they're off the hook?

FlyingRon

You only have 36 months to amend or file an old return.
They have 36 months to audit/pursue you if you file.
They have forever to go after you for not filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">