• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel costs to support medical treatment deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgombos

What is the name of your state? CA

As requested by a therapist treating a family member for bipolar disorder, I was asked to report to a California hospital to assist with some aspect of the inpatient treatment. I'm not yet sure what my role will be.. it may just be giving the therapist background information, or it may be more interactive with the patient. I'm not sure why doing these therapy sessions over the phone was considered impractical.

The question is whether the travel expenses in connection with this effort are tax deductible. I wouldn't actually take a deduction, but rather simply use HSA funds (which from what I understand is subject to the same criteria as a medical expense deduction).

I may have screwed this up by purchasing the airfare, hotel, and car rental with an ordinary credit card, and not the HSA credit/debit card. I'll still have food expenses though.

BTW, I need an answer by tomorrow. Sorry for the urgency.. this possiblity just now occured to me.

irsos

Medical Expenses

What is the name of your state? CA

As requested by a therapist treating a family member for bipolar disorder, I was asked to report to a California hospital to assist with some aspect of the inpatient treatment. I'm not yet sure what my role will be.. it may just be giving the therapist background information, or it may be more interactive with the patient. I'm not sure why doing these therapy sessions over the phone was considered impractical.

The question is whether the travel expenses in connection with this effort are tax deductible. I wouldn't actually take a deduction, but rather simply use HSA funds (which from what I understand is subject to the same criteria as a medical expense deduction).

I may have screwed this up by purchasing the airfare, hotel, and car rental with an ordinary credit card, and not the HSA credit/debit card. I'll still have food expenses though.

BTW, I need an answer by tomorrow. Sorry for the urgency.. this possiblity just now occured to me.

With regard to medical expenses in general, the expenses must be (1) for your spouse or a dependent (with slight modification in definition) (2) must be necessary and (3) cannot be lavish or excessive. I am wondering if this is your spouse or child because you used words like "family member" and "patient". Sometimes people are vague because they think they are more likely to get the answer they are wanting. If I was posting the question, I would have said "son" or "wife".

Another issue that occurs to me immediately is why a therapist near the patient's home was not selected. Another issue relates to your qualifications. If you are just providing background information then certainly a phone call or written questionnaire might suffice. The fact that the hospital insists on it does not necessarly make it deductible. If you are a mental health care professional, these expense may well be deductible as business expenses.

Last edited:

jgombos

With regard to medical expenses in general, the expenses must be (1) for your spouse or a dependent (with slight modification in definition)
I think this may be a difference between the deduction rules and the HSA spending rules. I was told when I opened the HSA account that those funds could be used by anyone - limited only by what qualifies under some section of code as a medical expense. I was also told in laymans terms that the criteria for a medical expense is very loose. I'll have to read it sometime.
(2) must be necessary and (3) cannot be lavish or excessive. I am wondering if this is your spouse or child because you used words like "family member" and "patient". Sometimes people are vague because they think they are more likely to get the answer they are wanting. If I was posting the question, I would have said "son" or "wife".
I am not willing to let the world know exactly who is bipolar. I will say that this is not a dependant or spouse. I have already revealed more than I'm comfortable with, and probably should not have mentioned which mental illness we're dealing with.
Another issue that occurs to me immediately is why a therapist near the patient's home was not selected. Another issue relates to your qualifications. If you are just providing background information then certainly a phone call or written questionnaire might suffice.
The patient already has a professional. They are not bringing me in for any kind of expertise. My knowledge on this illness only scratches the surface. Other family members are also traveling to CA to facilitate the treatment. And by "facilitate" I'm being vague there because I have no idea why we are needed. So I can't begin to guess as to whether this trip meets the criteria for being necessary. I don't believe the hospital can really require me to do anything. I'm going because they request that I'm there, because it will improve the treatment in some way.

Thanks for the prompt response. Sounds like I should leave the HSA debit card behind.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I think this may be a difference between the deduction rules and the HSA spending rules. I was told when I opened the HSA account that those funds could be used by anyone - limited only by what qualifies under some section of code as a medical expense. I was also told in laymans terms that the criteria for a medical expense is very loose. I'll have to read it sometime.

I am not willing to let the world know exactly who is bipolar. I will say that this is not a dependant or spouse. I have already revealed more than I'm comfortable with, and probably should not have mentioned which mental illness we're dealing with.

The patient already has a professional. They are not bringing me in for any kind of expertise. My knowledge on this illness only scratches the surface. Other family members are also traveling to CA to facilitate the treatment. And by "facilitate" I'm being vague there because I have no idea why we are needed. So I can't begin to guess as to whether this trip meets the criteria for being necessary. I don't believe the hospital can really require me to do anything. I'm going because they request that I'm there, because it will improve the treatment in some way.

Thanks for the prompt response. Sounds like I should leave the HSA debit card behind.
I am sorry, but if the person you are traveling for is not a dependent or spouse, then its not only not a medical deduction, but its not a valid expenditure from your HSA either.

abezon

You cannot deduct any expenses related to treating someone who is not a spouse or dependent. However, the patient can reimburse you for expenses and s/he can decuct your travel costs IF the patient can show why the physical presence of family members is required in CA. Meals while travelling are not decutible unless provided during inpatient care.

Basically, you're SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">