• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel Expenses - are they income to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lotsatravel50

What is the name of your state? MA

Hi!

I have an important question... In 2004 I had an apartment in PA. My work(client) is in MA. My client paid for me to
travel back and forth between PA/MA and also paid for my meal,rental car,hotel.

Midway into my contract (after July) my expenses were reimbursed differently ie. since I was on the project
more than 1 year , the reimbursements were taxable for me (to be compensated by my employer later via tax assistance)

My question is this...
For the part between Jan-July where my expenses were not taxed to me and were written off by my company, am I liable
to pay tax ?

The reason I ask is that I considered myself a MA resident by Feb 04 as I had filed some immigration paperwork from
that state. I got a MA Drivers Lic/registered my car there also. I maintained a home in PA all along 2004

IF I file MA resident tax returns for 04 am I liable to pay taxes for

a) the period between Jan-July (expenses not reported on my W2)
b) the period between July-Dec (employer reported expenses on W2 but will offer tax assistance)

I have since given up my PA apartment and live in MA. My question relates
to the period mentioned above (a)

Thanks
lotsatravel

abezon

Expenses not reported on your W2 were paid under an accountable plan & are not taxable to you. Expenses included in the W2 are taxable (obviously) & you may be able to write off some of the expenses, depending on what the reimbursements were for. The tax assistance will help determine what if anything is deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">